Through The Department of Care Coordination, UH provides and coordinates several ways to ensure clear communication with patients who have limited or no English proficiency. Caregivers MUST use these options rather than rely on the patient's family or friends to interpret important healthcare information:
1. Interpreter Services
a. Interpreter Roster: A roster of employees who volunteer to interpret is available on all nursing units or by contacting Maryam Chebli Boukili at 973-972-1707. Some of those employees have been specially trained in medical interpretation and others are fluent in many languages. There are more than 100 volunteer interpreters covering more than 30 languages, including sign language. Staff are encouraged to use volunteer interpreters whenever possible.
- Interpreter Trainings are available for volunteers. Some volunteers have earned Medical Interpreter Certificates.
- The Interpreter Roster is updated annually and distributed to all nursing units and clinics.
- Copies are also available by calling Maryam Chebli Boukili at 973-972-1707 or the Social Work office at 973-972-5842 or on the hospitals intranet – UH Net http://www.umdnj.edu/uhnetweb/uhinsider/interpreter1_new.htm
b. Translation Plus Interpretation Phone Service: Additionally, if a volunteer interpreter is not available, The Translation Plus Interpretation Phone Service is available. Through the Language Line, patients are connected with an operator who can interpret in their language and communicate back to the healthcare team.
Translation Plus Interpretation Phone Services are available as follows:
- Call 1-888-338-5511
- Give our customer code: TPUH
- Tell them the language you need interpreted
- Tell them the name of your Department / Unit / Clinic Name (e.g., E Blue, Radiology, ENT, etc.)
- Give them your name and phone number
- Dual headsets can be ordered by contacting Maryam Chebli Boukili at 973-972-1707
- TTY/TDD telephone and Closed Caption TV are available for deaf patients through the television / telephone rental service.
2. Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services:
Deaf Talk: Through the Department of Care Coordination, Deaf Talk provides Video Sign Language Interpreting Services via a mobile video conferencing unit (Rolling cart), which offers a simple solution of sign language interpretation to its hearing/speech impaired patient population. If necessary, a live interpreter can be scheduled with prior arrangements to facilitate communication between the hearing/speech impaired patient and the treating physician or health care worker. The requesting service or clinic should contact Maryam Chebli Boukili (973-972-1707), who will contract a qualified Sign Language interpreter to be present during the patient’s examination treatment procedure.
The mobile video conferencing unit is available at the following locations:
- ACC (Ambulatory Care Center): Outpatient Social Work Office – F Level 1619
- Emergency Department: Contact Charge Nurse: 973-972-5130 or 973-972-5128 (Day) 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (Evening) 7:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m. The Machine is available 24/7.
- Inside the UH Volunteer Office UH-C-431 (2 Mobile Units) by calling Maryam Chebli Boukili (973-972-1707).
- The Volunteer Interpreter Roster also provides sign language interpreters during regular business hours.
- Non-Emergent Requests for a Sign Language Interpreter: An interpreter can be scheduled with prior arrangements to facilitate communication between the hearing/speech impaired patient and the treating physician or health care worker in special situations where the Deaf Talk Machine cannot be used.
- The requesting service / clinic should submit a request to Maryam Chebli Boukili (Cheblimh@umdnj.com) who will schedule an interpreter to be present during the patient’s examination / treatment.
3. Document Translation
If a document must be translated into another language, the staff must use official translation services provided by the hospital. Do not undertake the translation yourself or ask a colleague to assist. It's important that all UH documents be translated as accurately and professionally as possible.
All documents to be translated should be submitted using Microsoft Word to Maryam Chebli Boukili via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. She can also make arrangements to have printed documents translated into different languages.
If you are interested in becoming a UH Volunteer Interpreter, please call Maryam Chebli Boukili at 973-972-1707 or email her ChebliMH@umdnj.edu. If she is unavailable, please call the Social Work office at 973-972-5643.