Intellectual Property Protection & Licensing at UMDNJ
Introduction and Mission
Our website has been prepared as a general guideline to assist the faculty, staff, students and employees of the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey with the steps taken to protect and commercialize intellectual property created at UMDNJ. This is an overview of University policy and procedures, and is not intended to be a comprehensive tutorial for all situations involving intellectual property development and protection. We welcome any questions you may have, that are not answered here, about your intellectual property, patenting or licensing. Please call us any time.
The University recognizes the importance of commercializing our technology in order to bring new medicines, medical devices, diagnostics and software to the health care community and ultimately to the general public and OTTBD has a critical role as liaison between UMDNJ's administration, faculty, scientists, clinicians, staff and the private sector. Our varied role includes managing all university intellectual property, supporting new start-up companies and facilitating partnerships with biotechnology, pharmaceutical and medical devices companies worldwide, and in some cases providing funding for translational research. We serve the university's three medical schools, the dental school, the graduate school of biomedical sciences, the school of health related professionals, the school of nursing and school of public health, all located on five separate campuses throughout New Jersey.
When You Should Interact with OTTBD
- When you have research results that you believe might have commercial significance
- When you have written a manuscript to present at a national or international meeting
- When you have developed a computer program that you would like to protect with a copyright
- When you have a logo or distinctive message that deserves trademark protection
- When you are thinking about seeking research support from a commercial firm
- When you are planning to develop outside business interactions or possibly form your own business
- When you are planning on bringing materials to, or transferring materials from, the University
Office of Technology Transfer and Business Development (OTTBD)
University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey
1 World's Fair Drive, Suite 2100
Somerset, NJ 08873