Background and Goals
The Statewide Centers of Excellence initiative was announced by Dr. Stuart Cook in his inaugural address of April 9, 1999 "...to translate outstanding research and development into the highest quality patient care for the citizens of New Jersey." The specific goals of the initiative are:
- To strengthen the University through Statewide Centers of Excellence ("Centers") that are economically self-sufficient and buoyant;
- To provide patient care of the highest quality in an integrated fashion at multiple locations, ensuring seamless access to specialized, state-of-the-art resources including clinical trials;
- To foster leading-edge basic research in the biomedical sciences developing programs fully competitive for major grants;
- To support the educational missions of UMDNJ’s schools by providing a critical mass for clinical and research activities; and,
- To advance the image and reputation of the University.