Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is a policy?
- What are procedures?
- What is the Policy Library?
- Who develops and approves University policies?
- Whom do I contact if I have questions about a particular policy or procedure?
- What is the role of the Office of Policy and Project Management (OPPM)?
- How can I get a copy of a policy?
- What is the process for the creation and adoption of new policies, revision or rescission of existing policies ?
- Where do I send questions or comments about this Web site?
- What is the Standard University policy format?
- How do I find a policy on specific topic?
- How do I know if a policy was recently updated?
- Are there policies today that may no longer be needed?
- What should I do if I want to comment on a current policy or procedure?
A policy is a governing principle that mandates or constrains actions.
Procedures are steps taken to comply with a policy.
The UMDNJ Policy Library is a compilation of policies, directives and regulations approved by the University’s Board of Trustees, the President and other officers (Vice Presidents, Deans, President/CEOs).
The contents collectively provide requirements or constraints and establish boundaries for conduct for the University community: faculty, staff and students. The contents are divided into four categories: a) Board of Trustees & Presidential; b) Functional; c) Schools; and d) Healthcare Units.
- BOT policies are developed by the administration at the direction of the BOT and are approved by the Board.
- Presidential policies are developed at the direction of the President by the Executive Vice President, Senior Vice President or Vice President and are approved by the President’s Cabinet on behalf of the President.
- Functional policies/procedures are established by the Vice Presidents with delegated University wide responsibility for a specific function, (e.g. Human Resources, Finance, etc.) to communicate standard operating procedures applicable University-wide and are approved by the respective Vice President or Senior Vice President.
- School policies/procedures are established by the Deans with delegated responsibility for a specific school to communicate operating guidelines applicable across all campuses.
- Healthcare Units policies/procedures are established by the President/CEOs with delegated responsibility for a specific healthcare unit to communicate operating guidelines across all facilities.
Questions about a particular policy or procedure should be referred to the Responsible Office identified for that policy or procedure. More general questions about the online version of the document can be referred to OPPM http://www.umdnj.edu/policylibrary/about/contact.htm.
- PDF document -- On the Home Page of the Policy Library – Click on Board of Trustees & Presidential, then Subject Area, then go to the policy section you are interested in, (i.e. Administration), open that page and click on the policy code # which will open up the policy in PDF format. You may also click on Alphabetical.
- WORD document - If you are a Policy Owner/Author – scroll over to the site navigation bar for Policy Owner/Author Resources, which will open a drop down menu where you will see Policy Word Documents. You will need your Core password to open the policies in word.
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey formally approves, issues, and maintains in a consistent format, official university policies. The policy on Policy Life Cycle Management (see link below) outlines the requirements the individuals engaged in developing and maintaining these policies must follow for drafting, approving, revising, and rescinding policies.
For step by step instructions for new policy, use: http://www.umdnj.edu/oppmweb/policy_resources/Steps%20for%20new%20policy%20process.doc
For step by step instructions for policy revisions, use: http://www.umdnj.edu/oppmweb/policy_resources/Steps%20for%20policy%20revision%20process.doc
Please send website questions and comments to OPPM_WEB
All University policies will be drafted in the prescribed format using a template (see link below) indicating the various optional and mandatory parts of a policy document. By standardizing the way that policies are presented to the reader, the University hopes to make policies easier to read and understand.
You can use either of the options below:
- Enter key word in Quick Search box.
- Go to Search on site navigation bar for Key Words/Phrase and Category which opens the Policy Library Advanced Search window.
- For BOT or Presidential click on In Force and scroll the categories.
The header of the University policy document includes three dates indicating when the policy was adopted, amended and reviewed. Additionally, the OPPM website has a section devoted to Policy Updates listing policies that have been updated or adopted by date in a chronological sequence and the associated Policy Communications Report (PCR). The PCR contains a brief description of the reasons behind and the nature of changes to the policy.
Yes, that is possible and there may be policies in need of significant updating. The policy on Policy Life Cycle Management requires Policy Owners or the designated “Author” to review policies within their portfolio at a minimum, every two years to determine the need for an appropriate management action to: either “Develop (new)”, “Revise”, “Reassign” or “Rescind”.
The policy on Policy Life Cycle Management encourages regular interaction between the Policy Owners/Authors, OPPM and the University community. Comments, questions and suggestions should be addressed to the Responsible Office which is listed next to each policy in each policy section. You can also use the comments and suggestions box on the website.