Destruction/Disposal of Records
Records are the property of UMDNJ and should never be destroyed without prior written consent of UMDNJ’s Custodian of Public Records and the State ofDept. of Treasury, Records Management Services (NJRMS)
- Departments access the Request and Authorization for Records Disposal form via my.umdnj. https://my.umdnj.edu. In the Staff Tool Box – Click on “Request and Authorization for Records Disposal” to bring up the BLANK FORM. Below is an example of a completed “Request and Authorization for Records Disposal” form.
- Departments complete the form (see instructions for completing the form) and click on “Submit and Print Request” the form will be electronically forwarded to their Unit Records Liaison for review.
(Click to Enlarge)
- The Unit Records Liaison reviews/approves form and electronically forwards to: UMDNJ Custodian of Public Records.
- Custodian of Public Records reviews/approves and forwards form to DARM via Finance Operations, Controller’s Office.
- DARM approves and returns form to Finance Operations which retains the University’s copy. A DARM approved copy is returned to the requesting department providing authorization to destroy the approved records. Destruction/disposal of records with protected health information, other personal-identifying information, intellectual or other proprietary rights shall be accomplished by shredding.
- CROWN receives the authorization to destroy records that are stored offsite in their facility or at the Logical Source facility.
- Upon completion of destruction, Crown forwards Certificate of Destruction to UMDNJ Finance Operations.
- CROWN RMS online system updates the status of the boxes to note they have been destroyed.
Request and Authorization for Records Disposal Form
All records disposal requests must be submitted on a Request and Authorization for Records Disposal Form.
Instructions for Preparing “Request and Authorization for Records Disposal Form”
Item 1 - Requesting Agency Information: UMDNJ will default; enter your Address and Telephone Number.
Item 1A • Agency Retention Schedule Number: Select schedule number forappropriate record series. http://www.umdnj.edu/digitweb/prototypes/legalweb/record/schedules/index.htm
Item 2 • Request Date: The current date will default in.
Item 3 • Requested By: Enter Signature and Title of the authorized user initiating the request (employee name and number will default in).
Item 4 • Unit Liaison Officer: Select your Unit.
Item 5 • Records Manager: this will populate via your selection from item # 4. Records Liaison will forward to Custodian of Public Records for signature.
Item 6 • Archival Review: For DARM use only.
Item 7 • Premature Disposition: Complete only for disposal of hardcopy records whose retention period has not yet expired, but were microfilmed or imaged or deemed unsalvageable due to a disaster.
Item 8 • Comments: For DARM use only
Item 9 • Records Series Number: Enter the Record Series Number as it appears on the current record retention schedule. http://www.umdnj.edu/digitweb/prototypes/legalweb/record/schedules/index.htm
Item 10 • Record Series Title: Enter the Title of the Record Series as it appears on the current record retention schedule.
Item 11 • Record Retention Period: List the Retention Period for the record series scheduled for disposal, as it appears on the current records retention schedule.
Item 12 • Inclusive Dates: Indicate the Date range of the records series slated for disposal.
Item 13 • Enter the date the records may be slated for disposal. This is based on the number of years required in the retention schedule plus the last date of your records.
Item 14 • Volume: Estimate the volume in cubic feet for each record series scheduled for disposal, and provide a total volume at the bottom of the column. Note: one full letter or legal size file drawer contains two cubic feet; fractions should be rounded up.
Note: UMDNJ requestors complete Items 1 through 14 (excluding items 6 & 8)
Question • Are Your Records Stored on Campus: if Yes, select yes. If not, and your files are stored at Logical Source – list the bar Codes (indicate the range from and to, if the Bar Codes are sequential). Otherwise if not enough fields generate a separate list and forward to Data Control. Indicate the Requester’s Name, Completion Date and the Total Cubic Feet. (Email to email@example.com )
Item 15 • Audit Verification: (DARM): Blocks 15A and 15B are reserved for DARM review.
Item 16 • Authorization (DARM): Blocks 16A thru 16C are reserved for DARM review.
Item 17 • Disposition: (DARM): Blocks 17A and 17B are reserved for DARM review.