Tanzania and Zanzibar
The FXB Center has focused on building in-country capacity and sustainability of the services and programs we have established with the Ministries of Health in Tanzania and Zanzibar. Our in-country office in Dar es Salaam is staffed with a multidisciplinary team of incountry experts who have assumed increasing levels of responsibility and leadership for our activities, with technical assistance (as needed) from the FXB-Newark team.
Highlights of Collaborative Activities
Build the Capacity of Healthcare Workers to Implement Quality Services for prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV (PMTCT)
Teamed with the Ministries of Health in Tanzania and Zanzibar to:
- Develop, update and disseminate National PMTCT Guidelines and Training Package
- Create, field test and disseminate healthcare worker job aids
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures for PMTCT
- Create tools for supportive supervision and quality assurance of PMTCT services
- Adapt generic tools for counseling related to HIV testing and infant feeding
- Conduct training-of-trainers for PMTCT senior trainers and Technical Working Group
Teamed with Ministries of Health in Mainland Tanzania to
- Create an electronic national resource center for PMTCT (http://www.pmtct.or.tz)
- Conduct a bottleneck analysis for the elimination of mother-to-child transmission (eMTCT)
- Finalize and operationalize the monitoring and evaluation system for eMTCT, including development of an electronic reporting and analysis program
- Building in-country capacity for monitoring and evaluation of PMTCT programs at the local, regional and national levels
Project : To create an on-line communication mechanism and repository of information related to PMTCT, reproductive health and pediatric health care services for healthcare workers and stakeholders.
Goal: To increase access to critical guidelines and tools and to enhance communication and coordination among and between the Ministry of Health and Social Welfare and partners, stakeholders and healthcare workers providing services in the field throughout Tanzania.
FXB-Tanzania launched the PMTCT website
- Disseminates up-to-date guidelines, policies, training materials, job aids and related materials published by the Tanzania Ministry of Health and Social Welfare and related to mother-to-child transmission of HIV (MTCT), HIV early infant diagnosis (HEID), infant and young child feeding in the context of HIV and other related topics
- Disseminates news, reports and state-of-the-art clinical information
- Provides linkages and contact information for the various partners and stakeholders involved in implementing and scaling up services for PMTCT in Tanzania.
- Provides a forum for sharing information, ideas and best practices in PMTCT service delivery.
This website is the result of collaboration between the Tanzania Ministry of Health and Social Welfare PMTCT Unit and keyPMTCT implementing agencies in Tanzania. It is designed and managed by the François-Xavier Bagnoud (FXB) Center and made possible through funding received from the US Centers for Disease Control.
For more information contact:
Mary Jo Hoyt, MSN
Director, Education and Capacity Development
François-Xavier Bagnoud Center