The FXB Center has been providing technical assistance to the government of Botswana since 2002. During this time, the FXB Center has collaborated with the Botswana Ministry of Health (MOH), the Botswana Institute of Health Sciences (IHS), CDC Botswana, University Research Co. (URC), and other partners to provide technical assistance in the following areas: development of prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV (PMTCT) guidelines and in-service training curricula for healthcare workers, pre-service and in-service PMTCT training, healthcare worker development and retention, and the integration of HIV and reproductive health services.
Highlights of FXB Center activities and accomplishments in Botswana
Support the Botswana National PMTCT Programme and the Nutrition and Food Control Division
- Update the national PMTCT guidelines and training curriculum
- Support the national rollout of the revised PMTCT curriculum
- Develop tools to promote safe infant feeding
- Develop posters to support healthy eating
- Provide training in program management, team building and supportive supervision
Promote Integration of Sexual and Reproductive Health and HIV Prevention and Care
- Develop materials and job aids to enhance, standardize and reinforce the family planning messages provided to clients, including clients living with HIV.
- Revise the national family planning training curriculum
Support Pre-Service PMTCT Training
- Support pre-service HIV-related education for IHS campuses
- Assist in the implementation of the midwifery curriculum
- Establish twinning partnerships between IHS and UMDNJ
Support the Workplace Wellness Programme
- Develop wellness for health workers resources and strategies, including employee recognition programs
To review and download resources from the Botswana PMTCT training series, click on the links below.
For additional information, please contact:
Virginia Allread, MPH
Global Program Director, Editor AIDSLine