All outside employment/volunteer activities must receive prior approval from the agency Ethics Liaison Officer. The following issues must be examined in determining whether an outside activity can be approved.
- Does the outside position require representation before a State agency?
- Does the outside position involve a casino licensee or applicant for a casino license?
- Does the outside activity involve contracting with a State agency?
- Is there a significant overlap in the duties and responsibilities of the two positions?
- Does the State employee's agency have control, supervision, or jurisdiction over the outside entity?
- Does the outside entity receive grants from or contract with the State employee's agency?
- Does the outside activity involve a published work?
- Does the outside interest involve political activity?
Specific information concerning this topic is available on the State of New
Jersey State Ethics Commission web site.