Office of Community Affairs
Since 1986, the Department of Communtiy Affairs has served as the chief catalyst for implementing the University's community service mission. By creating and cultivating relations between UMDNJ and the various communities served by the University, the Department is able to plan, organize and implement projects and initiatives that address the needs of underserved communities throughout the State.
The Department provides oversight of policies concerning community-related issues and supports University departments and units in planning and implementing programs that serve UMDNJ's constituencies. Department activities serving to accomplish this mission include:
- public policy planning and coordination;
- community relations and marketing initiatives;
- community partnering
- serving as liaison to local government agencies;
- neighborhood development projects, land use policy and redevelopment;
The Department also provides guidance and technical assistance to a number of community agencies and other public and private groups concerned with health, education and economic development issues.
In keeping with the overall mission of the University, the Department works to achieve University-wide excellence in the following ways:
- By partnering with the Institute of the Elimination of Health Disparities at UMDNJ, the Department ensures that research–related resources are made available to address community needs and deliver healthcare to defined patient groups.
- The Department facilitates partnerships with educational enrichment programs that prepare school-age students for college‚ which presents professional career options for young people and which increases the pool of qualified students for the University. As a partner institution of the Council for Higher Education in Newark (CHEN), the Department is organizing a myriad of support programs for students at Science Park High School in Newark is currently under development.
- Working with various constituencies, the Department ensures the participation of UMDNJ in various health conferences, forums, educational activities, programs, and committees in the community. Through various bodies such as the Camden City Healthy Futures Committee, the Department disseminates health awareness and education information in the communities served by UMDNJ.
- In order to enhance UMDNJ’s image, the Department leverages partnerships and collaborative relationships that result in the University’s participation in various activities and life-enriching programs and services. For example, the Department represents the University as part of the University Heights Science Park, Inc. (UHSP). UHSP, a collaborative venture designed to harness university science and technology research in Newark, is as a force for urban and regional economic and community development.